OAKLAND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WELCOMES BRITISH AIRWAYS
Nonstop service to London starting March 28, 2017
Oakland, CA: (Nov. 1, 2016) – Starting next spring, Bay Area residents can choose British Airways when traveling from Oakland International Airport (OAK), thanks to the start of the renowned carrier’s nonstop Oakland to London service, starting March 28, 2017.
The new service will make British Airways the only European airline to operate from all three Bay Area airports.
Flights will operate four days a week between London Gatwick and Oakland International Airport, accommodating 275 customers across a three-cabin Boeing 777.
“We are so pleased to welcome British Airways to OAK, and greet them with tremendous excitement as this new transatlantic service represents ever-expanding opportunities for our growing Airport and the entire Bay Area,” Port of Oakland Director of Aviation, Bryant L. Francis, stated. "Bay Area residents and visitors will have more options than ever before in selecting the schedule and airport which best fits their needs when traveling to/from London on British Airways."
The new service connects history to the future of the San Francisco Bay Area’s favorite city, as revelers celebrated the announcement aboard a vintage British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) Flying Boat at the Oakland Aviation Museum. The historical Flying Boat – one of only two left in the world, took its last flight for the carrier – now known as British Airways – 66 years earlier, nearly to the date of today’s announcement, on November 3, 1946.
Forward to the Future of World Class Service
British Airways said that customers will be able to choose from three unique all-inclusive experiences on-board:
Award-winning business class product, with 6-ft. fully flat beds and ample storage space, on-demand in-flight entertainment, and excellent dining and wine selections, including a ‘help yourself’ kitchen.
Club World participants traveling from the Bay Area also receive up to five days of free parking in OAK’s Premier Lot, an added value of $190.
World Traveller Plus
Offers personalized, premium economy service in a separate cabin, with seating that features a 38-inch pitch, in-seat power, and choice of meals from the business class menu cabin.
The airline’s economy cabin offers seat back entertainment, a choice of meal with complimentary bar service throughout the flight, and free accessories such as blanket and headsets.
The airline said that all customers receive free baggage allowance and seat allocation. British Airways also provides a“Feed Kids First” service which ensures that children are served first, allowing parents to enjoy their own meal, and with a deposit of $10 per person, customers have 72 hours to confirm details with their friends and family, making it even easier to book with confidence.
For more information about the airline, visit ba.com
OAK MEDIA CONTACT:
NOTES TO EDITOR:
- On Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays the flight will depart London Gatwick’s South Terminal at10:20am and arrive into Oakland at 1:15pm. The flight will depart at 2:45pm and arrive into London Gatwick at 9:25am the next morning.
- On Tuesdays, the flight departs at 11:25am from London Gatwick and arrive into Oakland at 2:20, returning at 3:50pm with an arrival into London Gatwick at 10:30am the next morning.
- Gatwick is only 30 minutes by train to the popular seaside destination Brighton, which is home to the new British Airways i360 attraction. The British Airways i360 is the world’s first vertical cable car and allows visitors to cruise up slowly to 450 feet and enjoy breath-taking 360 degree views of up to 26 miles.
- British Airways’ ‘Customize Your Trip’ service available online at com allows customers to create a multi-destination holiday of their choice with flexibility to combine flights in and out of different airports, book multiple hotels and select car rental for any part of their holiday.
- British Airways’ operations will be based at London Gatwick South Terminal from January 2017 welcoming customers with a new larger, brighter lounge, upgraded check-in area and easier access from public transport.